water softDo you want to improve the quality of your home’s water? Installing a water softener system is one of the best ways to do this. Water softeners are designed to reduce hard minerals like calcium & magnesium, which can cause problems with plumbing fixtures & appliances & even skin irritation.
With so many systems available on the market today, knowing where to start when choosing & installing a water softener can be challenging.
In this article, we’ll provide all the information you need about water softeners, from what they are, what they do, and how much they cost to finding a qualified installer and maintaining your new system.
Read on for more details!
What Is A Water Softener System & How Does It Work?
A water softener system is designed to remove hard minerals from your home’s water supply. It passes the incoming water through a tank filled with resin beads charged with sodium ions. These sodium ions attract & bind to the calcium & magnesium in the water, allowing you to remove them from your water source. Once the water has been treated, it passes through the rest of your plumbing system.
Types Of Water Softener Systems Available
There are three main water softeners: salt-based, potassium chloride-based & magnetic water softeners.
- Salt-based systems are the most popular option as they’re the most effective. They use a brine tank filled with salt & resin beads, which helps to soften the water.
- Potassium chloride-based systems work similarly to salt-based systems.
- Magnetic water softeners don’t use chemicals or salts but instead rely on an external magnet to attract the minerals.
Cost Of Installing A Water Softener System
The cost of installing a water softener system can vary greatly depending on the size & type of plan you choose. Generally, salt-based systems are more expensive than other options. You’ll also need to factor in the cost of any additional plumbing that may be required & the cost of ongoing maintenance.
Choosing A Qualified Installer
When choosing a qualified installer, you want to ensure that you’re dealing with professionals with the right qualifications & experience.
Lone Star Water Services has been helping homeowners in Texas for over 25 years & our team of dedicated professionals is highly qualified.
We will provide free consultation & assessment to determine which system suits your home & comprehensive installation service.
We serve all areas of central Texas, including Austin, San Antonio, Dripping Springs, Blanco, Wimberley, San Marcos, Buda, Kyle, Lakeway, New Braunfels, Helotes, Pflugerville, Boerne & more! Contact Us today to schedule your service.
Maintaining Your New System Once Installed
Once your new water softener system has been installed, it’s essential to maintain it properly to ensure it continues to work efficiently & effectively. Regular maintenance should include checking the water hardness levels, replacing the filter every 6 months & adding salt to the brine tank as needed.
With the correct information & a qualified installer, you can be sure that your new water softener system will be installed correctly & provide you with high-quality water for years to come.
20 Benefits of Having a Water Softener System in Your Home
- Soft water will help extend the life of your appliances by reducing scale buildup.
- You’ll save money on energy costs due to more efficient water usage.
- Soap & shampoo will lather better, resulting in a deeper clean.
- Clothes will remain brighter & softer.
- Healthier skin with less irritation from hard water.
- No more white stains on dishes, fixtures, or glassware.
- Cleaner showers & sinks due to no soap scum buildup.
- Pipes will last longer since the minerals that cause corrosion are removed.
- Your home’s plumbing system will be protected from mineral deposits & clogging.
- You won’t need to descale your hot water heater as often, which can save you money in repairs.
- Water tastes better for drinking, cooking & other uses.
- Reduce spotting on glasses & dishes after washing them in the dishwasher.
- Low-maintenance cost & operation.
- Reduce mineral buildup on your faucets, showerheads, etc.
- Reduced staining of your clothing when washing in hard water.
- Save money on detergent because you won’t need to use it as much.
- Softer skin after bathing in treated water.
- Fewer repairs are required with appliances not subjected to the damage caused by hard water.
- Improved taste of foods cooked with soft water.
- Plus, a more pleasant overall experience for everyone in your home!
Common Questions About Water Softeners Answered
1. What Is A Water Softener?
A water softener is a device that removes minerals from hard water, such as calcium & magnesium, making the water softer.
2. How Does It Work?
Water softeners use ion-exchange technology to remove hardness-causing minerals from the water supply.
3. What Types Of Systems Are Available?
The three most common types of systems are salt-based, potassium chloride-based & magnetic water softeners.
4. Why Should I Install One In My Home?
Installing a water softener can significantly impact your quality of life by providing you with softer, cleaner water for drinking, washing clothes, dishes & bathing. It also helps protect your home’s plumbing system & appliances by reducing scale buildup.
5. What Is The Useful Life Of A Water Softener?
The useful life of a water softener system will depend on the type & size of the unit, as well as the frequency of maintenance & care. Generally, a properly installed & maintained water softener should last several years.
6. What Elements Do Water Softeners Remove?
A water softener system will remove minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron & manganese from the water.
7. How Much Does It Cost To Install A Water Softener?
The installation cost depends on the size & type of system you choose & any additional components needed. For more accurate pricing, contact a qualified professional for an assessment & quote.
8. Do I Need A Plumber To Install One?
To ensure that your new water softener is installed correctly, hiring a qualified professional plumber with experience with these types of systems is essential.
9. Will I Need To Add Salt Periodically?
Yes, most water softeners require periodic replenishment of the brine tank with salt to work properly.
10. Can Bacteria Grow In A Water Softener?
Bacteria can grow in a water softener if the system is not maintained correctly. It’s essential to keep the brine tank clean & to flush the system periodically to prevent bacteria from growing.
11. Who Should Not Drink Softened Water?
Those with kidney disease, weakened immune systems, or high levels of sodium in their diets should not drink softened water as it may contain higher levels of sodium than regular tap water.
12. What Is A Good Hardness Level For A Water Softener?
A good hardness level for a water softener is between 10 – 15 grains per gallon (GPG). If the water in your area has a higher hardness level than this, it is advisable to install a high-capacity system.
13. Do Water Softeners Impact Water Pressure?
No, water softeners don’t have any effect on water pressure.
14. How Often Do I Need To Maintain My Water Softener?
It’s essential to perform regular maintenance on your water softener system for it to operate correctly.
15. What Maintenance Is Required?
Regular maintenance should include checking the water hardness levels, replacing the filter every 6 months & adding salt to the brine tank as needed.
16. How Do Water Softeners Fail?
Water softeners can fail for several reasons, such as blockages, leaks, incorrect installation, or maintenance.
17. How Long Can A Water Softener Sit Without Being Used?
Using a water softener regularly is essential, as it can become blocked over time if not used. If your system doesn’t need to be used for some time, it’s best to turn it off.
18. What Happens If Water Softener Runs Without Water?
If your water softener runs without water, it can become damaged due to a lack of lubrication & the accumulation of dirt. Moreover, the brine tank may become contaminated with bacteria due to a lack of water.
19. Is A Water Softener Worth It?
Yes – installing a water softener can provide numerous benefits for your home & health! You’ll enjoy softer, better-tasting drinking water, cleaner dishes, brighter clothes & fewer repairs due to scale buildup on appliances & pipes over time. You’ll save money on detergent & repairs in the long run.
20. Can You Flush The Toilet When The Water Softener Is Running?
Yes, you can flush the toilet when the water softener is running. However, it’s best to avoid using hot water during this time as it can damage the system.
21. What Happens If You Take A Shower While The Water Softener Is Running?
Showering while the water softener is running should not cause any problems. However, it’s best to avoid using hot water during this time as it can damage the system.
22. Can You Drink Water From The Sink With A Water Softener?
Yes, you can drink water from the sink with a water softener. However, it is essential to ensure that the system is installed correctly & maintained, as this will ensure that the water is safe for consumption.
Now that you know all there is to know about water softener systems, it’s time to take the next step & install one in your home. The benefits far outweigh any cons & you’ll be glad you made the switch once you start noticing the difference in your daily life.
Be sure to contact Lone Star Water Services for all your water softener installation needs – we’re the experts & here to help!
If you still have questions about water softeners, feel free to contact us – we’ll be happy to help!
Lone Star Water Softeners is committed to providing our customers with the best possible service before, during & after installation. Contact us today to learn more about our products or schedule a free consultation.